KHUN LOK BRIDGE
(Remnants of the Khun Lok Bridge)
(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam
Chao Phraya Museum - map is orientated S-N)
Saphan Khun Lok or the Khun Lok Bridge (1) is a defunct wooden bridge once
located on the city island in the southern-western part of Ayutthaya. The remains of this
bridge became visible in 2017, when the Fine Arts Department made archaeological
excavations along
Khlong Chakrai Yai and encountered the remnants of the wooden
bridge poles.

The wooden bridge was located in between
Wat Jao Phram and Wat Ubosot, both part
of the
Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park and crossed Khlong Chakrai Yai in a east-west
direction.

The wooden bridge was built over Khlong Chakrai Yai, which was a shortcut in the loop
of the old
Lopburi River (later Khlong Mueang or City Canal) linking Pratu Khlong Pak
Tho in the north with Pratu Khlong Chakrai Yai in the south. The northern part of the
canal was called by the locals
Khlong Tho and ran along the western wall of the Grand
Palace.

In the Ayutthaya Era.At there was a fresh market, called Khun Lok Market, at the foot
of the Khun Lok Bridge in front of
Wat Kaeo Fa. [1]

Footnotes:

(1) Khun Lok could be translated as "Ruler of the World", which is in fact Brahma, the
Creator. There could be a link between the name of the Bridge and Wat Jao Phram
(Lord Brahma).

References:

[1] Phanna phumisathan Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya: Ekasan jak Ho Luang -
Geographical description of Ayutthaya: Documents from the palace - Dr. Vinai
Pongsripian - Bangkok, Usakane, n. d. (2007).
(Remnants of the Khun Lok Bridge)
(Remnants of the Khun Lok Bridge)
(Detail of Engelbert Kaempfer's Published map - Anno
1727)
Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - April 2017