WAT CHO (วัดเฉาะ)
Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2009
Review April 2011, April 2013
(View from the east)
(View from the west)
Wat Cho (1) is located on the city island in the southwest area in Pratu Chai sub-district,
west of the
Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park. The ruins of the temple lay east of U-Thong
Rd, more or less opposite
Wat Chai Watthanaram. The ruins can be easily reached.

Wat Cho stood on the south bank and close to the mouth of
Khlong Tha Phra (also
called as Khlong Klaep). At the mouth was a water gate called
Pratu Khlong Klaep
and a boat landing in connection with
Wat Lot Chong, called Phra Racha Wang Lang
Landing
.

The foundations of the monastery are still visible, being likely from a sermon hall. No
traces of boundary stones were found. The entry of the hall is to the east. The floor of the
main chedi is situated on the west side of the hall. The hall was surrounded by an inner
wall, while the whole complex was protected by an outer wall.

The history and period of construction of Wat Cho is not known.

Wat Cho is indicated on a
mid-19th century map in an identical position as on Phraya
Boran Rachathanin's (PBR) map drafted in 1926, east of Wat Phra Ngam. Wat Maha
Saman was situated south.

On the oldest map
Wat Chang was located opposite, on the north bank of the canal; but
PBR indicates a cluster of four temples in that location.

The site is located in Geo Coord: +14° 20' 45.64" N, +100° 32' 44.10" E.

Footnotes:

Cho (เฉาะ.) = to chop, break or slit open or (เฉาะ ๆ ) = comfortable.
(Extract of a begin-20th century map)
(Extract of a mid-19th century map)