|WAT JAO DOK DUA (วัดเจ้าดอกเดื่อ)
|Wat Jao Dok Dua or the Monastery of King Fig Flower was located off the city
island in the eastern area of Ayutthaya in present Phai Ling Sub-district, Moo 4.
Wat Jao Dok Dua stood north of Wat Jaeng (2) and east of Wat Jaeng (1). Wat Jaeng
(1) was located between Wat Yom Mon and Wat Yom Thai (Wat Thamma Niyom).
There are no visible traces remaining at ground level unless a brick mound situated under
a house. Locals spoke of a small vihara in situ, but the latter was not found during a
reconnaissance trip in February 2009.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown. The monastery could
have been related to King Uthumphon, usually known in Siamese history by the
nickname of King Dok Madua (Uthumphon is the Sanskrit word for "Fig flower"). 
There is a location of a former monastery with nearly a similar name, Wat Jao Fa Dok
Dua, situated a bit south of this place along Khlong Ban Bat in the same sub-district.
The monastery is mentioned on a Fine Arts Department map drafted in 1993 and on a
2007 FAD GIS map. On the latter map the monastery is denominated Wat Phai Lom.
The site is situated in geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 39.52" N, 100° 35' 1.30" E.
 A History of Siam - William A.R. Wood (1924) - page 238.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated April 2014
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)