WAT JAO PRAP (วัดเจ้าปราบ)
Wat Jao Prap is situated in Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park, in the southwestern area
of the city island. It can be seen from U-Thong Road, near the mouth of
Khlong Chakrai
Yai. This canal was once an important route for accessing the Grand Palace, and it
would have been used by kings for transportation.

This monastery's name refers to a royal dressing area for visiting a temple; and the
remains of a Phlabphla or pavilion is still visible in the corner of the site (adjacent to
Khlong Chakrai Yai). An ubosot is located at this site, and a large bell-shaped chedi is
its primary feature (suggesting the Middle Ayutthaya period). An inner wall surrounds the
ubosot. This wall includes many niches where lanterns or Buddha images could have
been placed. There is also a clear trace of an outer wall that includes entrance gates. A
number of smaller chedi can be seen at this site. Two of these have a dramatic
appearance outside of the inner walls. One is in the late period Khmer-style with many
redentations. A second chedi is nearly completely covered by a Bodhi tree that has
grown over it. Only its general shape and a few bricks can be seen.

The Fine Arts Department has listed Wat Jao Prap as being constructed in the Early
Ayutthaya period, but evidence for this claim is unclear. The area around this monastery
was once used by bodyguards, police, and soldiers. An armory was once located at the
mouth of Khlong Chakrai Yai near this monastery, but it has since been destroyed due to
the construction of a water gate. The name of this temple is supposedly mentioned in an
old book used by military troops.
View of Wat Jao Phrap
Entrance gate in the outer wall
Text by Ken May - May 2009
Photographs by Tricky Vandenberg
Addendum

Wat Chao Phrap is indicated on a mid-19th century map on the same location as Phraya
Boran Rachathanin does on his
1926 map.

The name of the temple does not refer to a royal dressing area for visiting a temple as
written above. Chao (Jao) Phrap stands for "
Lord Conqueror" and the temple's name
can as thus be translated as the "
Monastery of the Lord Conqueror". Often temples
were named after their founders. Whether the denomination refers to the Buddha or a to
member of the royal family at that time, I leave in the middle.

The remains of the pavilion mentioned above are the ones of a storehouse or depository.
Dibuk (ดีบุก) meaning tin. Phraya Boran Rachathanin mentions คลังดีบุก , which refers
as thus to a depository of tin.

The site is situated in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 30.46" N, 100° 33' 20.29" E.
Addendum by Tricky Vandenberg - March 2011
Wat Jao Phrap from the east
Wat Jao Phrap from the north
Klang Dibuk or Tin Depository
(Klang Dibuk or Tin Depository)
(Wat Jao Phrap from the north)
(View of Wat Jao Phrap)
(Entrance gate in the outer wall)
(Wat Jao Phrap from the east)
Extract of a 19th century map
Extract of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map
(Extract of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
(Extract of a 19th century map - Courtesy Sam Chao
Phraya Museum)
(Extract of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
1926)