WAT CHEDI YAI (วัดเจดีย์ใหญ่)
Wat Chedi Yai or the Monastery of the Great Chedi is situated in the southwest side
of the city island, directly inside the
Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park. It is easily seen
from the road that runs parallel to
Khlong Tho (in its extension known as Khlong
Chakrai Yai).

There is no bridge leading directly to it, so it can be difficult to reach by foot. To visit this
deserted monastery, cross the small footbridge further to the west and backtrack.

The one distinguishing item that remains is its single bell-shaped chedi. The chedi has a
ring of missing bricks on its outside, which shows how layers were expanded over time.
There are traces of a moat around this monastery.

Wat Chedi Yai was most likely built during the Middle Ayutthaya period, given its Sri
Lankan style. No exact dates or historical information is known.

The site is located in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 38.97" N, 100° 33' 14.71" E.
View of Wat Chedi Yai
Text by Ken May - December 2008
Photographs & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - February 2014
Chedi Yai seen from the east
(View of Wat Chedi Yai)
(Chedi Yai seen from the east)
Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
1926)
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)