|WAT CHUMPHON 4 (วัดชุมพล)
|Wat Chumphon or the Monastery of the Concentration of Troops is situated off the
city island in the southern area of Ayutthaya in Pak Kran sub-district. The monastery is
located south of Khlong Takhian.
In situ is a large brick mound. A new small chedi has been built on the location were once
stood the ruins of an old chedi.  The location is presently inhabited by monks and
should be considered as a retreat, as no ordination hall is existing.
There are at least three other monasteries off Ayutthya's city island bearing the name
"Chumphon". One is situated in the northwestern area in Wat Tum sub-district (Wat
Chumphon 1), another one in the north in Suan Phrik sub-district (Wat Chumphon 2) and
a third one in the south-east in Khlong Suan Phlu sub-district (Wat Chumphon 3). These
monasteries were probably related to warfare and were concentration points for the local
male population, prior to go into battle.
The historical background and period of construction of the temple are unknown.
The site is not mentioned on the 19th century map, neither on Phraya Boran
Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. Also the Fine Arts Department do not mention the
site on their maps (until 2007).
Wat Chumphon was located in Geo Coord: 14° 18' 53.72" N, 100° 33' 26.85" E.
 Interview with a monk and a layman on the premises - 16 September 2010.
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - September 2010
Updated April 2014
|(View of the location at sunset)
|(Location of the former chedi)
|(Newly built shrine on the premises)
|(Remains of a Buddha statue)