WAT JOM THONG 1 (วัดจอมทอง)
Wat Jom Thong or the Monastery of the Golden Peak was located on the city island
in the southern area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai Sub-district. The temple, known also as
Wat Ket, was situated south of an ancient canal called Khlong Chang Maha Chai. Wat
Khok Chang  was north of the temple, while Wat Suan Luang stood on its west.

There are no traces anymore of the former monastery. Houses have been built on the
site. The temple is classified as disappeared.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown. In front of the
monastery and besides the Maha Chai granary (situated earlier along the canal between
Wat Suan Luang and
Wat Sop Sawan, today in the location of the army camp) was a
fresh market called the
Head Granary Market. [1]

Wat Jom Thong is mentioned on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin’s map drafted in 1926 in a
nearly identical position as Wat Ket on a
mid-19th century map. A 2007 Fine Arts
Department GIS map positions Wat Jom Thong east of the Rear Palace, but I believe if
this excavation site is correct it must have been likely the remains of a structure of the
Rear Palace and not a monastery.

The site must have been approximately situated in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 9.04" N, 100°
33' 3.29" E.


[1] Markets and Production in the City of Ayutthaya before 1767: Translation and
Analysis of Part of the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of the Siam
Society, Vol. 99, 2011 - page 65.
Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Updated April 2011, April 2013, May 2014
Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
Detail of a mid-19th century map
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
(Detail of a mid-19th century map)
Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map
(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map)
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)