|WAT KAEO (1) (วัดแก้ว)
|Wat Kaeo or the Crystal Monasterywas located on the city island in the southwestern
area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai sub-district. It was situated in the present Somdet Phra
Sri Nakharin Park; the latter being part of the Ayutthaya Historical Park. The site of the
former monastery is accessible via U-Thong road. The temple stood north of Wat Khok
Madan Yai (defunct) along a canal which was connected to Khlong Chakrai Yai.
The monastery belonged to a cluster of temples located in a residential area in the reign
of King Chakkraphat also called the "Lord of the White Elephants" (r.1548-1569).
Thianracha (Chakkraphat), before ascending the throne, had his princely residence in this
area. The area was before important, as most of the palace officials and high ranked
persons were living on both sides of the main river between Wat Phutthai Sawan and
Wat Chai Watthanaram.
The last traces above ground level of this temple probably disappeared when the
Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park was constructed. Only a large grass field remains.
Its historical background and exact period of construction are not known, although it is
very likely that the former monastery was built in the Middle Ayutthaya period.
On the road in front of Wat Kaeo Fa near the Khun Lok Bridge over Khlong Chakrai
Yai, there was a fresh market called Khun Lok Market.  Khun Lok could be
translated as "Ruler of the World", which is in fact Brahma, the Creator. There could be
a link between the name of the bridge and market with Wat Jao Phram (Lord Brahma) in
its immediate vicinity.
Wat Kaeo is indicated on a mid-19th century map in the same position as Phraya Boran
Rachathanin does on his 1926 map, but is here denominated as Wat Kaeo Fa
(วัดแก้วฟ้า). The oldest map indicates the presence of a chedi.
Whether or not the monastery had a relation with the child king Yot Fa (r. 1547-1548)
also called King Kaeo Fa, is not known.
The site was located in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 33.51" N, 100° 33' 16.21" E.
 Markets and Production in the City of Ayutthaya before 1767: Translation and
Analysis of Part of the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of the Siam
Society, Vol. 99, 2011 - page 66.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - September 2009
Updateed - April 2011, March 2013, May 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a mid-19th century map)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)