|WAT KAEO (2) (วัดแก้ว)
|Wat Kaeo or the Crystal Monastery is a defunct temple once located on Ayutthaya's
city island outside the Historical Park in Pratu Chai Sub-district.
The monastery features curiously enough not on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted
in 1926, but is indicated on a map drafted in the mid-19th century. (1)
On the latter, Wat Kaeo stood south of Wat Mae Nang Muk on the west bank of
Khlong Pratu Jin and more or less opposite Wat Khok Suea and Wat Khok Saeng.
The mid-19th century map indicates no existence of a chedi nor prang. The monastery's
historical background and period of construction are unknown.
(1) Phraya Boran Rachathanin indicates however a monastery with an identical name in
the area of the present Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park.
|Text & map by Tricky Vandenberg - January 2011
|(Detail of a mid-19th century map)
There are discrepancies between the 19th Century map and Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 regarding the area west of
Khlong Pratu Jin.
Wat Chatthan is situated on the oldest map north of Talaeng Kaeng Street instead of south. Wat Chatthan is here in a line with Wat Song
Wat Noi Nang Muk is situated at the south-west corner created by Khlong Pratu Jin and Talaeng Kaeng Street (Chikun Bridge) and stands
on the oldest map in the location where is today believed to be Wat Chatthan before. The oldest map shows the presence of a chedi, while
the remaining brickwork of Wat Mae Nang Muk is a prang.
The position of today's Wat Mae Nang Muk is on the oldest map in fact Wat Kaeo. On the other hand Wat Kaeo is drafted without a chedi
In conclusion Wat Mae Nang Muk today could have been yesterday's Wat Kaeo.
|Addendum by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2014