WAT KHAE 1 (วัดแค)
Wat Khae is located inside the Ayutthaya Historical Park, between Wihan Mongkhon
Bophit and the place used for Elephant Shows (Wang Chang). The temple is located in
the middle of a pond and just west of the old prison location. A tributary canal once led
to this site from
Khlong Chakrai Yai (aka Khlong Tho).

Wat Khae is a restored ruin. In situ are the ruins of a sermon hall. The entrance is at the
east. At the west the classic chedi position seems to have been replaced by a Buddha
image. Remains of an outer wall are still visible.

Historical records of Wat Khae are lacking, and its foundation date is unknown. Its
location near the
Grand Palace and the old prison may provide some clues. A map by
Engelbert Kaempfer, published in 1727, suggests that temples existed in the area on the
southern end of the Grand Palace (p 45). Although he didn't mention this temple by
name, Wat Khae may have been one of them.

Unfortunately, in the post-Ayutthaya period, a number of temples in this area were
destroyed. Residence halls were constructed for officials on the opposite side of Pa
Thon road. The Historical Park area also had a large number of squatters living inside. A
Bangkok Post article printed on 27 July 1970 describes a scheme to relocate over 60
slum dwelling families off this land so that municipal offices could be built. A Bangkok
Post article on 10 March 1996 confirms that there was still effort to clear people out of
the Historical Park. Wat Khae may have been partially damaged by this population of
squatters.

The restored foundations of Wat Khae are located in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 11.58" N,
100° 33' 28.23" E.
View of the ruins of Wat Khae
View of the ruins of Wat Khae
Text by Ken May - January 2009
Photographs & maps by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated June 2014
(View of the ruins of Wat Khae)
(View of the ruins of Wat Khae)
Detail of a 19th century map
Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map
(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy Sam Chao
Phraya Museum)
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
1926)
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)