|WAT KHOK KRAPHRAO (วัดโคกกระเพรา)
|Wat Khok Kraphrao or the Monastery of the Basil Mound was situated on
Ayutthaya's city island outside the Historical Park in Pratu Chai Sub-district.
The monastery features on a mid-19th century map on the north side of the road leading
from the Pa Than Bridge towards Pratu Jao Jin along the Front city canal. Wat Khok
Kraphrao was located east of Wat Pa Than, south of Wat Klong and west of Wat Sa.
Phraya Boran Rachathanin (PBR) indicated this temple on his 1926 map, but didn't
mentioned its name. At par with Wat Saphan Than, PBR positioned this monastery south
of Pa Than road, at present Naresuan Rd. We find the location of Wat Khok Kraphrao
also on a Fine Arts Department map drafted in 1974.
Historical data about Wat Khok Kraphrao and its construction are not known.
Wat Khok Kraphrao must have been approximately situated in Geo Coord: 14° 21'
29.12" N, 100° 34' 22.70" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - January 2011
Updated July 2014
|(Detail of a 19th century map)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 1974 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Dr. Surat Lertlum, Chulachomklao Royal