|WAT KLANG RAMAN (วัดกลางรามัญ)
|Wat Klang Raman or the Monastery at the Midst of the Mon is an active monastery
located off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in Suan Prik sub-district. It is
situated on the east bank of Khlong Bang Khuat, the old Lopburi River in earlier times.
The temple can be reached by Rd No 2003 at Km 5. Wat Pom Raman lies in its vicinity.
In 1584 internal troubles arose in Burma. Prince Naresuan, at that time Governor of
Phitsanulok, was ordered to assist the Burmese in an expedition against Ava. Nanda
Bhureng, King of Burma, thought the occasion favorable to get rid of the Naresuan and
instructed two Peguan (Mon) noblemen - Phraya Khiat and Phraya Ram - to ambush
him and his army. The plot although was revealed to Naresuan by the head monk Thera
Khan Chong of the City of Khraeng and the Black Prince proceeded to Hongsawadi
with a considerable force. Most of the population along the border joined him. Learning
however that Nanda Bhureng conquered Ava and was returning with his army, he
decided to return to Siam, taking with him a large number of prisoners, mostly Siamese
captured by the Burmese in previous wars.
After the Battle of the Sittaung River, Prince Naresuan moved back to Ayutthaya .
Mon families - the relatives of the two Peguan nobleman and the head monk as well as
about 10.000 forcibly removed Raman (Mon) inhabitants of the provincial cities along
the way - migrated to Thailand and settled in the outskirts of Ayutthaya. The group of
Mons who migrated to Siam during King Maha Thammaracha's reign (r. 1569-1590),
was very skilled in working with elephants, especially training elephants for warfare.
Many Mons were mahouts (Th: Mae Thap Na), and fought actively and successfully
along the Siamese against the Burmese in the wars of 1584-1586, 1587, 1590 and 1592.
After the successive wars with Burma ended in 1592, the Mon immigrants built Wat
Klang Raman in the location of Thung Pho Sam Thon, in the middle of their community;
thus the name of the temple "Klang Raman" - in the Midst of the Mon.
With the siege of Pegu and the fall of the city on 8 May 1757 AD to the Burmese King
Alaungpaya, the last independent Mon kingdom fell to the Burmese. Many Mon were
slaughtered, while others escaped to Siam and settled in the vicinity of the City of
Ayutthaya. The Klang Raman monastery was thus rebuilt in 1757 on top of the old ruins.
"When King Alaungpaya later attacked the Mons, many of the Mons who suffered
defeat at the hands of the Burmese migrated into Siam in many batches and sought
the protection of the king of Siam. They were well received as was the case
formerly. They were given lands on which to build their houses in the outskirts of
the capital, as for example at the village of Three Bodhi Trees." (1) 
Wat Klang Raman is located in Geo Coord: 14° 23' 21.28" N, 100° 33' 1.01" E.
(1) Three Bodhi Trees or Pho Sam Ton (in Bang Pahan District) is the area located
between the stretch of the old Bang Kaeo River (now Khlong Bang Phaeng) and the
stretch of the old Lopburi River, (now Khlong Ban Muang). The remains of the temple
of Wat Pho Sam Ton are located just opposite Wat Dao Khanong. It is not clear
whether the area comprised within the loop of the old Lopburi River belonged to the Pho
Sam Ton Field or the Lum Phli Field. Following the text of Prince Damrong Rajanubhab
it belonged to the first.
 A History of Siam - W.A.R. Wood (1924) - Chalermnit Press - page 131-132.
 Our Wars with the Burmese - Prince Damrong Rajanubhab (1917) - White Lotus,
Bangkok (2000) - page 141.
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - December 2009
Reviewed September 2012, December 2014
|(Wat Klang Raman)
|(View of the small ubosot)
|(View of Wat Klang Raman)