WAT KRAJI (วัดกระจี)
Wat Kraji is a ruined monastery that is situated along the northern side of Pa Thon
Road.  It can be found on the property of Provincial Police Headquarters. This
monastery is sometimes hidden by heavy vegetation, but a good landmark for finding it is
the post office on the opposite side of the road.

A large bell-tower is the only structure in situ at Wat Kraji. The layers of stucco have
almost all peeled away, but the spire is still in good condition. There are at least 19 rings
around the spire. The finial is missing, and the shape of the hamika is observable but
badly eroded. Looters have dug a large hole in the northern side of the chedi, which
reveals is a large and hollow inner chamber. The base has lost most of its shape.
However, it appears as if some foundation layers are still situated below ground level.
Red bricks are scattered around the site, but I could still not find remnants of any walls
or other structures.

Wat Kraji was once located beside an old road leading from east to west, and evidence
suggests it was accessed exclusively by foot rather than boat. Wat Kraji is most likely
one of the unnamed pagodas on
de La Mare’s 1751 map. This map shows a monastery
on the northern side of a road, which is situated slightly above a canal running from east
to west. The temple is between
Khlong Pratu Khao Pluak and Khlong Nai Kai (Khlong
Makham Riang). This unnamed pagoda perfectly matches the geographic location of
Wat Kraji.
The chedi of Wat Kraji
Text by Ken May - August 2009
Photographs & maps by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated December 2014
The chedi of Wat Kraji
(The chedi of Wat Kraji)
Detail of a 19th century map
(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam
Chao Phraya Museum)
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
1926)
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
(The chedi of Wat Kraji)