|WAT KUTI LAI (วัดกุฏิลาย)
|Wat Kuti Lai is an active monastery located off the city island in the northwestern area
of Ayutthaya on the edge of Ban Mai Sub-district.
In situ is an ordination hall (Th: ubosot) on an elevated platform with two porches; one
porch in the east with two entries and one porch in the west with also two entries, in the
classical east-west alignment. The roof is three-tiered and the ubosot has five rectangular
windows on the northern and southern sides. We can conclude that the hall is built in the
Late Ayutthaya style (1629 - 1767).
The monastic structure is surrounded by a wall (Th: Kamphaeng kaeo or Crystal wall),
separating the sacred world within from the secular bustle outside. The wall has four
gates with a three redented post, a pointed arch and colorful gable at the four cardinal
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown. The site is not
indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926, as the temple is located
at the outskirts of Ayutthaya.
Wat Kuti Lai is located in Geo Coord: 14° 24' 6.80" N, 100° 31' 35.93" E.
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - December 2009
Updated December 2014
|(Ubosot - view from west side)
|(Ubosot - view from north side)
|(View of the decorated gable)