|Wat Pa Kup was located on the city island outside the Historical Park in Pratu Chai
Sub-district. There are no traces remaining from this temple above ground level.
Wat Pa Kup is positioned on a mid-19th century map, on the east side of Khlong Pratu
Khao Pluak and west of Wat Pet. Wat Khok Rak stood in the north, while Wat Kraji
was in the southeast. Wat Pa Kup is represented on the map with a redented chedi on a
Phraya Boran Rachathanin (PBR) situates Wat Pa Kup on his map drafted in 1926 more
or less on the same spot, with Wat Pet in the north, Wat Khok Rak in the south and Wat
Kraji in the southeast.
The Fine Arts Department on a map drafted in 1993, abbreviates Wat Pa Kup to Wat
Kup and indicates the monastery on the location where PBR positions Wat Pet, just
north of Thewa Sathan, along Khlong Pratu Khao Pluak.
It is obvious that there were different monastic structures in this area and their
denomination remains unfortunately a bit of guess work.
Historical data about Wat Pa Kup and its construction are not known. The site was
located in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 18.68" N, 100° 34' 11.87" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2010
Updated January 2011, December 2014
|WAT PA KUP (วัดป่ากุบ)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)