WAT PA PHAI (วัดป่าพาย)
Wat Pa Phai or the "Monastery of the Radiant Forest" was situated on the city island  
in the
Historical Park in Pratu Chai sub-district.

On its north stood
San Phra Kan, a Brahmin shrine (south of the City Foundation Stone
or
Lak Mueang), while Wat Pa Mo (no traces anymore) stood in the southwest and Wat
Rak in the west.

There are no traces of foundations or brick work at ground level and the temple is
classified as disappeared.

The monastery stood once on the place where is at present a Thai style house, just north
of the old Provincial Building, where Ayutthaya's Tourist Office is located (the Thai style
house belongs to the Tourist Authority Thailand - TAT).

The site is mentioned as Wat Pa Phai on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in
1926 and on a
mid-19th century map of an unknown drafter. The position of  the temple
matches both maps.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.
Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Reviewed February 2011
(Extract of a begin-20th century map)
(Extract of a mid-19th century map)