WAT PA SAO (วัดป่าเสา )
Wat Pa Sao is located west of the main island, just north of Wat Kasatrathirat. It is
surrounded by houses and concealed from the main road. A large amount of garbage is
scattered on site, and locals currently store debris where the monastery was once
located.

A medium-sized bell-shaped chedi remains on the site. It has been heavily eroded over
the years, and its 13-ring spire has since broken off. Most of the stucco has peeled off
the main chedi, but remains of a lotus blossom are clearly visible around the relic
chamber. Holes have been dug into the chedi by looters, and the ruin has been mostly
plundered. However, a small stack of headless Buddha images remains beside the
un-restored ruin. There are no surviving sermon halls, foundation, or boundary walls.

The history of Wat Pha Sao remains unclear, but the bell-shaped chedi was constructed
in a style popular during the Middle Ayutthaya period. This site does not appear on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map of 1926 and is not mentioned until a Fine Arts
Department map of 1993.
View of the remnants of Wat Pa Sao
View of the remnants of Wat Pa Sao
Text by Ken May - April 2009
Detail of a 19th century map
Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map
(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy Sam Chao
Phraya Museum)
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
(View of the remnants of Wat Pa Sao)
(View of the remnants of Wat Pa Sao)
Addendum

Wat Pa Sao was located in Geo. Coord.: 14° 21' 10.40" N, 100° 32' 41.45" E.
Addendum, photographs & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2009
Updated February 2015