|WAT RACHA PHRUEK (วัดราชพฤษก์)
|Wat Racha Phruek or the Monastery of the Golden Shower Tree (1) is a defunct
temple formerly located on Ayutthaya's city island outside the Historical Park in Hua Ro
The monastery was situated on the west bank of Khlong Senasanaram, just opposite
Wat Senat, the present Wat Senasanaram. On the northwest side stood Wat Khun Saen.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The premises where once stood Wat Racha Phruek are now probably within the
boundaries of Wat Senasanaram.
The temple features on a map drafted in the mid-19th century and its location is also
indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 and on a 1974 Fine Arts
Department map, but remains on this two maps unnamed.
Wat Racha Phruek should have been approximately located in Geo. Coord.: 14° 21'
52.54" N, 100° 34' 19.75" E.
(1) Cassia fistula.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2010
Updated May 2012, March 2015
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 1974 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Dr. Surat Lertlum, Chulachomklao Royal