|Wat Saiya was located on the city island in the southwestern area in Pratu Chai Sub-
district. It was situated in the present Somdet Phra Nakharin Park; the latter being part of
the Ayutthaya Historical Park. The site of the former monastery is accessible via U-
The monastery belonged to a cluster of temples located along a canal, connecting Wat
Luang Chi Krut with Wat Jao Prap, running parallel with the city’s defense wall.
This cluster of temples was located in a residential area in the reign of King Chakkraphat
(r. 1548-1569) also called the Lord of the White Elephants. Thianracha
(Chakkraphat), before ascending the throne, had his princely residence in the area. The
area was before important, as most of the palace officials and high ranked persons were
living on both sides of the Chao Phraya River between Wat Phutthai Sawan and Wat
The last traces above ground level of this temple probably disappeared when the Somdet
Phra Sri Nakharin Park was constructed. Only a large grass field remains.
Its historical background and exact period of construction are not known, although it is
very likely that the former monastery was built in the Middle Ayutthaya period (1488 -
Wat Saiya must have been approximately located in Geo. Coord.: 14° 20' 29.24" N,
100° 33' 10.30" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - September 2009
Updated April 2015
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 1974 Fine Arts Department map - Courtesy
Dr. Surat Lertlum, Chulachomklao Royal Military
|WAT SAIYA (วัดไสยา)