|WAT SAMPHAO LOM (วัดสำเภาล่ม)
|Wat Samphao Lom or the Monastery of the Capsized Junk is still in use by the
Buddhist clergy. The temple is located off Ayutthaya's city island in the southern area,
east of Khlong Takhian in Pak Kran Sub-district.
The large ordination hall or ubosot has been completely renovated, hence its new name
Wat Tham Mai, the newly made monastery. Only the inner walls are somehow the last
remains of the old monastery. The interior of the renovated ubosot is very beautiful
Historical data about the monastery and its construction is not known.
The site is mentioned on the Fine Arts Department maps but is not indicated on the
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map of 1926.
Wat Samphao Lom is located in geographical coordinates: 14° 19' 52.06" N, 100° 32'
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2009
Updated April 2015
|(View of Wat Samphao Lom)
|(Inside the ordination hall)
|(Wat Samphao Lom before restoration)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)