|WAT SANGKHA THA (วัดสังขทา)
|Wat Sangkha Tha is located on the city island in the southwestern part of Ayutthaya in
Pratu Chai sub-district. The temple is situated west of Khlong Chakrai Yai (an extension
of Khlong Tho) in the Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park. In its immediate vicinity are Wat
Sangkha Thae and Wat Chedi Yai, while Wat Jao Phram is located east of it.
Being part of the Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park the ruin has been restored by the Fine
Arts Department. The site which goes under the name of Wat Sangkha Tha, consists of
two monastic structures being an ordination hall and a vihara, both with a chedi. Two
other monastic structures are also in situ: a vihara called Wat Sangkha Thae or the
"Monastery of the True Monkhood" and likely a bell or drum tower. The whole complex
is surrounded by a moat. Only a path on its eastern side leads to the site. I presume that
all buildings were part of one single monastery, although on the maps of Phraya Boran
Rachathanin and the Fine Arts Department they are indicated as separated entities.
The chedi of the vihara at the west has a three-tier redented chedi on an octagonal base.
Its conical spire and harmika broke off and disappeared. Some stucco standing Buddha
images are still partly visible.
The ordination hall at the east has a Sinhalese-styled chedi on a square base. The
bell-shaped dome with its harmika and umbrella semi-intact, rest on a three-leveled
platform, the latter representing the "Traiphum" or the "Three Worlds".
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown, but we can read in the
Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya that Reverend Yan Rakkhit of the Holy Royal Synod's
Division of Meditation Matters was living here in 1755 at the Monastery of Sangkatha.
He was invited by King Borommakot (r. 1733-1758) to come and study the methods of
the way of holy transcendental meditation within the residence of the Reverend Professor
of the Monastery of Binding and Overlaying in order to control the weather during the
dedication of the Monastery of Phraya Kham. 
The site is indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 in the same
position as mentioned on the mid-19th century map.
The restored ruin of Wat Sangkha Tha is located in geographical coordinates: 14° 20'
40.77" N, 100° 33' 11.46" E.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman (2006) - page 454 -
Source: Royal Autograph.
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated May 2015
|(View of vihara and ubosot from the east)
|(View from the south)
|(View from the south)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam
Chao Phraya Museum - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)