|Text by Ken May - March 2009
Maps by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated June 2015
|WAT SIAM RAT (วักเสียมราษฏร์)
|Wat Siam Rat is a 'disappeared' temple that was once connected to a chain of Chinese
pagodas north of Khlong Pratu Jin. This canal - now buried - once flowed along an
east-west axis toward the Chinese Gate (Pratu Chin), intersecting with Khlong Pratu
Khao Pluak (the canal that once flowed from north to south in front of Wat Maha That).
The nearest modern landmark is Chiresat Witthayalai School.
Wat Siam Rat appears on Phraya Boranrachthanin's (1926) map between Wat Khun
Mueang Jai and Pratu Jin. However, it was dropped from the Fine Arts Department
maps of 1957 and 1993. This temple can be classified as 'disappeared', and no trace of it
can be found today. It may be safe to assume that Wat Cho Ae was architecturally lost
sometime after (1926), though it could have remained a ruin for some time beforehand. It
is not clear what this temple ever looked like.
It is not certain when Wat Siam Rat was originally founded or when it disappeared.
During the Ayutthaya period, a large population of Chinese maritime traders settled in this
area, and this temple was situated by a road known as China Street. Engelbert Kaempfer
wrote in 1727 that China Street was made of brick and included some of the best houses
in the city (p 44). In addition to the Chinese population; French, Dutch, Muslim, and
English merchants also resided along this road - including the Greek opportunist,
Constantine Faulcon. China Street is also documented on the French map by Sieur de La
This temple probably 'disappeared' as a new population moved into the neighborhood
during the Ratanakosin period. Khlong Pratu Jin and Khlong Pratu Khao Pluak were
both buried in the rush to modernize the city. Road construction took a heavy toll during
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 1974 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Dr. Surat Lertlum, Chulachomklao Royal