|WAT SING SAI (วัดสิงห์ทราย)
|Wat Singsai was located on the city island in the southwestern area of Ayutthaya in
Pratu Chai Sub-district. It was situated in the present Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park;
the latter being part of the Ayutthaya Historical Park. The site of the former monastery is
accessible via U-Thong road.
The monastery belonged to a cluster of temples located along a canal, connecting Wat
Luang Chi Krut with Wat Chao Prap, running parallel with the city’s defense wall.
This cluster of temples was located in a residential area in the reign of King Chakkraphat
(r. 1548-1569) also called the Lord of the White Elephants; Thianracha
(Chakkraphat), before ascending the throne, had his princely residence in the area.
The area was before important, as most of the palace officials and high ranked persons
were living on both sides of the Chao Phraya River between Wat Phutthai Sawan and
Wat Chai Watthanaram.
The last traces above ground level of this temple probably disappeared when the Somdet
Phra Sri Nakharin Park was constructed. Only a large grass field remains.
Its historical background and exact period of construction are not known, although it is
very likely that the former monastery was built in the Middle Ayutthaya period (1488 -
Wat Sing Sai must have been approximately located in geographical coordinates: 14° 20'
29.78" N, 100° 33' 5.45" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - September 2009
Updated July 2015
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)