|WAT TAMNAK 1 (วัดตำนัก)
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2009
Updated January 2014, September 2015
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|Wat Tamnak or the Monastery of the Royal Residence was situated off the city island
in the southern area of Ayutthaya, west of Khlong Khu Cham and south of the Chao
Phraya River in Samphao Lom Sub-district.
The monastery was situated just southwest of Wat Phutthai Sawan and northwest of Wat
Kratoe. Except some traces of shattered bricks nothing of the monastic structure remains
at ground level. Presently there are houses built in situ.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.
The temple could have been related to Wat Phutthai Sawan. As the translation of the
word Tamnak literally means Pavilion, the structure was maybe a kind of royal
residence for the Ayutthayan Kings when visiting Wat Phutthai Sawan; or the location
where the king stayed when following the construction work of Wat Phutthai Sawan.
Such pavilions were found for example near Wat Maheyong, Wat Kudi Dao and Wat
Wat Tamnak is indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathain's map drafted in 1926 and on
later Fine Arts Department maps.
The site was located in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 16.89" N, 100° 33' 24.13" E.
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)