|WAT THAM NIYOM (วัดธรรมนิยม)
|Wat Tham Niyom or the Monastery of the Revered Dhamma is a temple in use by
the monastic clergy and located off the city island in the eastern area of Ayutthaya in Hua
Ro Sub-district. Wat Nang Chi (defunct) stood in the north, while Wat Jan (defunct -
formerly opposite of the railway station) stood on its southern side.
Wat Tham Niyom features on a mid-19th century map as Wat Yom Thai. The map
indicates no chedi nor prang in its location. Wat Yom Thai and Wat Yom Mon were
situated about 200 meters from each other following a Fine Arts Department excavation
map drafted in 2007. Wat Yom Thai stood south of Wat Yom Mon, identical as
indicated on the mid-19th century map. On Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in
1926, the monastery is named Wat Yom.
Wat Yom had before mural paintings illustrating scenes of a royal barge procession
almost fitting the scribes made during King Narai's reign on royal processions both on
water and on land (1). Phraya Boran Rachathanin had the murals at Wat Yom copied on
a manuscript in 1897. Prince Damrong Rachanuphap had the mural paintings recopied
on manuscript in the begin of the 20th century and preserved at the National Archives in
Bangkok. The original murals are unfortunately destroyed.
In 1985, the Muang Boran Publishing House released entire books about the murals at
Wat Pradu Songtham and Wat Yom. The murals at both monasteries are viewed as
Wat Tham Niyom is a temple built in the Ratanakosin period on the premises of the
former Wat Yom Thai (some remains were excavated by the Fine Arts Department in
geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 32.52" N, 100° 34' 53.31" E). It is a classic Buddhist
temple with an ordination hall built in the Late Ayutthaya style (1629 - 1767 AD).
Wat Tham Niyom is located in geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 33.61" N, 100° 34'
(1) An article 'The Royal Barge - A Short History' edited in the Bangkok Post of 7 June
2006 mentions that King Narai Narai (r. 1656-1688) ordered the murals at Wat Yom
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg
|(View of Wat Tham Niyom from the south)
|(View of Wat Tham Niyom from the southwest)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam
Chao Phraya Museum - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)