|WAT THONG 2 (วัดทอง)
|Wat Thong or the Golden Monastery was situated on the city island in the Historical
Park of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai Sub-district. The temple was located on the north bank
of Khlong Pa Mo, an extension of Khlong Klaep.
On its north stood Wat Pa Mo (no traces anymore) and on its east Wat Chana Man (no
traces anymore). The site lie south of the present Tourist Center within the Juvenile
In situ is only a small pavilion with a Buddha image of recent period. No other traces are
visible at ground level.
The site is mentioned on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. The name of
the monastery although is mentioned as Wat Nong or the "Flooded Monastery".
When we look at a mid-19th century map it all becomes a bit more difficult. This old
map mentions ten structures in the square delineated in the north by the old Talaeng
Kaeng road, in the east by Khlong Chakrai Noi, in the south by the old ring road and in
the west by Khlong Chakrai Yai. PBR's map mentions only seven structures.
After comparing the maps, it is the author's opinion that Wat Thong Pa Mo Noi on the
mid-19th century map, matches Phraya Boran Rachathanin's location of Wat Pa Mo the
best. Wat Thong should be then the location of Wat Thong Pa Mo Yai on the
mid-19th century map. The latter indicates the presence of a chedi at the time when the
map was drafted.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.
The site is located in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 53.57" N, 100° 33' 34.33" E.
|Text, maps & photograph by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated February 2016
|(View of the vihara at the Juvenile Center)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)