|WAT TRAI TRUENG (วัดไตรตรึงษ์)
|Wat Trai Trueng is a reconstructed ruin located on Ayutthaya's city island in the
Historical Park in Pratu Chai Sub-district. The monastery is situated in the vicinity of Wat
Phra Ram, established on the cremation site of the first Ayutthayan monarch King
U-Thong, officially called Ramathibodhi I.
The ruin is located in Bueng Phra Ram - north of Pa Thon Rd and the Ayutthaya
In situ is an east-directed sermon hall (vihara) with a chedi on its western side. There are
also a number of foundations of chedi rai (satellite chedi) remaining.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.
The "Master Plan for Tourism Development of Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya and the
Neighbouring Provinces" mentions that there were no remains of this temple. The
document stipulates that there were only three temples left in Bueng Phra Ram in 1988,
all in poor condition, being: Wat Nok, Wat Song Pat (likely Wat Sangkha Pat) and Wat
Langkha Dam. The ruin of Wat Trai Trueng we see today, must have been completely
The temple could be named after the City of Trai Trueng, a settlement in the area of
Kamphaeng Phet on the Ping River (one of the major tributaries of the Chao Phraya
River) established by a group of Thai from the area of Chieng Saen, who were expelled
by the Burmese in the latter part of the twelfth century. The city became likely a vassal to
Sukhothai in the middle of the thirteenth century. The city was said to be once the home
of the mother of King U-Thong. The princess was expelled from the city by her father,
the King of Trai Trueng, after having married a commoner. They both left the city and
established Thep Nakhon in 1319. In 1344, their son U-Thong became king and moved
the capital to Ayudhya in 1351 (based on the work of Somdet Phra Wannarat, the
The ruin of Wat Trai Trueng is located in geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 12.04" N
100° 33' 49.42" E.
 Master Plan for Tourism Development of Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya and the
Neighbouring Provinces - Tourism Authority of Thailand - 6 August 1988 - page 4-58.
 The Rise of Ayudhya - Charnvit Kasetsiri (1976) - page 56.
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated March 2016
|(View of the hall from the west)
|(View from the southeast)
|(View from the south)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam
Chao Phraya Museum - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)