|WAT YI KHAM (วัดยี่คำ)
|Wat Yi Kham was located off the city island in the southern area of Ayutthaya in
Samphao Lom Sub-district. (1) The site sits on the right bank of the Chao Phraya River.
To the west stood Wat Tha Sak (defunct) and on the east Wat Khun Phrom.
In situ are no traces anymore of the former temple, at least above ground level. The site is
covered in vegetation.
The monastery's historical background and period of construction are unknown.
Wat Yi Kham is indicated on a mid-19th century map, on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's
(PBR) map drafted in 1926 and on Fine Arts Department (FAD) maps.
On a FAD map drafted in 1974 there is a canal indicated between Wat Yi Kham and
Wat Tha Sak, leading from the Chao Phraya River south towards Wat Phraya Kong.
On the 2007 FAD GIS map, the locations of Wat Yi Kham and Wat Tha Sak are
swapped, notwithstanding the alignment of the monasteries (east to west ) on the
mid-19th century map and on PBR map, being Wat Khun Phrom - Wat Yi Kham - Wat
Pa Sak - Wat Chi Thammo.
Wat Yi Kham should have been situated in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 43.76" N,
100° 34' 8.44" E.
(1) Literally the sub-district of the capsized junk. The area was known before as Ban
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated March 2016
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 1957 Fine Arts Department map)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam
Chao Phraya Museum - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)