|WAT YOM MON (วัดยมมอน)
|Wat Yom Mon is a defunct temple formerly located off the city island in the eastern area
of Ayutthaya in present Hua Ro Sub-district.
The monastery was situated south of Wat Nang Chi, in the immediate vicinity of Wat
Yom Thai. The latter was located on the premises of the present Wat Tham Niyom.
A single monastic structure named Wat Yom is mentioned on Phraya Boran
Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. Two monastic structures being Wat Yom Thai and
Wat Yom Mon feature on a mid-19th century map.
Wat Yom Thai and Wat Yom Mon were situated about 200 meters from each other
following a Fine Arts Department excavation map drafted in 2007. Wat Yom Thai stood
south of Wat Yom Mon, identical as indicated on the mid-19th century map.
Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in Geo
Coord: 14° 21' 40.42" N, 100° 34' 54.31" E.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The mid-19th century map indicates the existence of a chedi on its eastern side.
|Text & map by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2011
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)