|AYUTTHAYA NORTH EASTERN BICYCLE TRACK 3
|This bicycle tour is designed to bring you beside some of the most important historical sites - in the north-eastern rim of Ayutthaya’s city island. There
is a high concentration of ruins and active temples in this small area, which makes this tour pleasant and of full of architectural surprises.
The area was probably already populated during the Dvaravati era (6th to the 11th centuries). There is evidence that a community settled in this area
much earlier than 1351 - the official date of establishment of the city of Ayutthaya. Sources suggest that the Khmers occupied the area as early as
850-1000 AD and established an outpost here, naming it Ayodhya after the ancient and one of the holiest Hindu cities of India (the old capital of
Awadh in the Faizabad district of Uttar Pradesh). This ancient Ayodhya community was situated on the stretch of land formed by Khlong Hantra,
Khlong Ban Bat, Khlong Kramang and the Pa Sak River.
The area was later invaded by Anawrahta, the King of Pagan (r.1044-1077) and controlled by the "Burmese" for about a hundred years. After the
Burmese influence waned, it was conquered once again by the Khmer and held until the mid 13th century. The Tai seized political power shortly
afterward by combining the Lavo and Suphannaphum Kingdoms. When King U-Thong arrived at Wiang Lek in 1347, a number of architectural
structures already existed.
The tour will take 3 to 4 hours depending on the time spent at each location point. Riders may not want to stop at every highlight listed on this tour
itinerary. A few sites have been listed more for the sake of smoother navigation. Individual cyclists can choose where to stop according to their own
tastes and time constraints.
If you are interested in viewing photographs of the temples in advance or would like additional historic information about these ruins, visit this website.
Historical signboard in situ is marked as (*)
Entry fee required is marked as ($)