|WAT KHOK DOKMAI (วัดโคกดอกไม้)
|Wat Khok Dokmai of the Monastery of the Flower Mound was located on the city
island in the eastern part of Ayutthaya in Ho Ratanachai sub-district near a locality called
The monastery was situated between Khlong Khu Na Mueang or the Front City Canal
(at present the Pa Sak River) and Khlong Nai Kai (Khlong Makham Riang), just west of
Wat Pho Ngam, which was situated on the east bank of the Front City Canal.
The monastery stood in the middle of a marshy area, a swamp which still can be seen
partly today. The area has been completely urbanized and no traces of the former temple
were found above ground level.
The site features on a mid-19th century map, on Phraya Boran Rachathanin’s 1926 map
and on 1974, 1993 and 2007 Fine Arts Department maps.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in Geo
Coord: +14° 21' 24.05" N, +100° 34' 41.85" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - September 2009
Reviewed August 2011, July 2014
|(Detail of a mid-19th century map)
Notice this map is oriented South - North.
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)