|WAT KHOK 1 (วัดโคก)
|Wat Khok or the Monastery of the Mound was located on the city island of Ayutthaya
outside the Historical Park in Pratu Chai sub-district, just opposite Hua Laem or the
The temple was situated north of a former canal called Khlong Fang, and close to its
mouth and water gate connecting, with the present Chao Phraya River. Wat Sing
stood south of the temple, while Wat Tuek stood on its north-east. Wat Khok stood
behind the Sat Kop Fortress.
There are no traces anymore of the former monastery.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The site is indicated on a mid-19th century map in an identical position as on Phraya
Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. 
Wat Khok must have been approximately located in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 23.72" N,
100° 32' 59.06" E.
 19C map - Athibai Phaenthi Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya kap khamwinitjai khong
Phraya Boran Rachathanin - Explanation of the map of the Capital of Ayutthaya with a
ruling of Phraya Boran Rachathanin - Revised 2nd edition and Geography of the
Ayutthaya Kingdom - Ton Chabab print office - Nonthaburi (2007).
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2010
Reviewed April 2011, July 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a mid-19th century map)
Notice this map is oriented South - North.
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)