|WAT LAMUT (วัดละมุด)
|Wat Lamut or the Monastery of the Lamut Tree (1) was located off the city island in
the northern area of Ayutthaya in Khlong Sra Bua sub-district, Moo 6.
The temple was situated west of the road running parallel with Khlong Hua Ro (the old
Lopburi River); west of Wat Khae and adjacent to Wat Phisua.
Wat Lamut was set in Thung Kaeo, an area north of the city of Ayutthaya bordered on
the west and north by Khlong Sra Bua; on the east by Khlong Hua Ro and in the south
by Khlong Mueang.
There are no traces visible of the monastery at ground level, but there is still a Ficus
Religiosa or Bodhi tree in situ.
Its year of construction is uncertain. The different editions of the Royal Chronicles of
Ayutthaya give some contradictory information.
The Royal Autograph mentions that Lord Anurak Montri was ordained at this monastery
in the period King Borommakot (r. 1733-1758) became severely ill (and died shortly
after in May 1758).
"Meanwhile, the Celestial Lord of the Department of the Fourth Rank Anurak
Montri, who had been ordained and was living at the Monastery of the Lamut,
was informed that the King had become severely ill with a holy sickness. His
Majesty accordingly left the monkhood and came down to stay at the Holy
Residence of the Rabbit Garden. Now Lord Athit, the Royal Son of that
Department of the Holy Royal Palace Enclosure who had entered heaven, went
out to invite His Majesty to come in to the Holy Throne Hall Armed with Guns.
After parting the curtains and looking with His holy eyes [on the King] for just a
few moments, His Majesty went back to the Rabbit Garden." 
The editions of the British Museum and Reverend Phonnarat mention that King Ekathat
(r. 1758-1767) constructed this temple in the year 1759 at the same time as the
"Monastery of the Garuda".
"After [C: being] [D: He was] rid of the enemies within, His Holiness accordingly
fostered and nourished the Holy [D: Buddhist] Religion [C: and] [D: as well as]
His imperial subjects so they lived in peace and happiness. Now His Holiness
constructed two holy temples and gave them the holy royal gifts of the names of
the Monastery of the Lamut Tree for one, and of the Monastery of the Garuda
for the other. Then [the King] dedicated them by presenting suitable alms articles
to all the ascetics, Brahmans, beggars and singing mendicants present and by
holding a festival for seven whole days. Then His Majesty returned [D: right] to
the Holy Royal Palace Enclosure." 
(1) ละมุด = Manilkara zapota; commonly known as the sapodilla.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman - p461 / Source: Royal
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman - p472 / Source British
Museum & Reverend Phonnarat.
|Text, map & photograph by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2009
Updated September 2011
|(View of the location of Wat Lamut)
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)