WAT LUANG CHI KRUT (วัดหลวงชีกรุด)
Wat Luang Chi Krut or the Monastery of the Reverend Nun Krut is located on the
city island in the northwestern area in Pratu Chai Sub-district. The restored ruin lies on
the edge of the
Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park and is part of the Ayutthaya Historical

Wat Luang Chi Krut was situated on the east bank of a small canal which had its mouth
at the
Chao Phraya River. This canal was just opposite the mouth of Khlong Takhian
at the other side of the river. The temple was situated east of
Wat Wang Chai, which
was constructed on the opposite side of the canal and, between the fortified city wall and
a canal which ran at its north side, the latter having its mouth at the canal mentioned
before. The monastery is accessible via U-Thong road.

Prince Thianracha, before ascending the throne as King Chakkraphat (r. 1548-1569),
had his residence in this area. The area in which this temple ruin is located was before
important, as most of the palace officials and important persons were living on both sides
of the Chao Phraya River between
Wat Phutthaisawan and Wat Chai Watthanaram.
There was an important ferry (
Tha Wang Chai) near the monastery linking the city
island with the landing at the mouth of the Takhian canal. This temple was likely used by
high ranking officials of royal blood for Buddhist veneration. [2]

In situ we find a large ordination hall or ubosot and other monastic structures built on a
classical east-west axis. To the west side of the ordination hall is a vihara constructed
following a north-south axis. Excavations by the Fine Arts Department found evidence of
three chedis in a north-south alignment at par with
Wat Sri Sanphet. [2]

The whole monastic area was surrounded by an outer wall called Kamphaeng Kaeo or
Crystal wall. It is obvious that his monastery has been restored many times.

Wat Luang Chi Krut is indicated on a
mid-19th century map in the same position as
Phraya Boran Rachathanin does on his
1926 map. The oldest map indicates the
presence of two chedi; one in the east and one in the west, close to the former Wang
Chai Fortress.

The restored ruin of the monastery is located in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 28.67"
N, 100° 33' 2.81" E.


[1] The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman (2006) - page 28 /
Source: Phan Canthanumat, British Museum, Reverend Phonnarat, Phra
Cakkraphatdiphong & Royal Autograph.
[2] Ayutthaya Historical Park - Fine Arts Department (2003) - page 79.
View from the west
View of the ubosot from the east
Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - September 2009
Reviewed December 2014
Monastic structure in the west
View of the ubosot from the east
(View of the ubosot from the east)
(View of the ubosot from the east)
(Monastic structure in the west)
(View from the west)
Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N
Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno