|WAT THA JIN (วัดท่าจีน)
|Wat Tha Jin or the Monastery of the Chinese Landing was situated on the city island
outside the Historical Park in the eastern part of Ayutthaya in present Pratu Chai
The monastery stood on the east bank of Khlong Pratu Jin, a canal called Khlong Pratu
Khao Pluak in its northern stretch, connecting the old Lopburi River (present Khlong
Mueang or City Canal) in the north with the Chao Phraya River in the south. The canal
had its northern mouth at Pratu Khao Pluak or the Gate of the Unhusked Rice, a water
gate, and ended up at Pratu Jin or the Chinese Gate, also a water gate. The north-south
canal was filled in last century and at present inexistent, with the exception of a small
stretch of water between Wat Tha Sai and Wat Rachapraditsathan near Pratu Khao
Wat Khun Muang Jai, a large temple site, stood on its east side, while Wat Mae Nang
Muk was situated in the west, on the opposite bank of the Pratu Jin canal.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are not known. The area east of
Khlong Pratu Jin was largely populated by Chinese traders during the Ayutthaya era.
The site is indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. There are no
visual traces left from the temple. The last traces of the ruins of Wat Tha Jin probably
disappeared with the construction of Rojana Road.
Wat Tha Jin was approximately located in geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 2.27" N,
100° 34' 13.54" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2010
Updated January 2014, September 2015
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)