WAT CHANG NOI





Wat Chang Noi, or the small Monastery of the Elephant, was situated off Ayutthaya's city island in the northwestern area. The temple is located in Wat Tum Sub-district, Ban Chang Yai, Moo 1, east of Road No 347, near Ban Maen (Village of the Mon). The monastery stood on the south bank in an oxbow of the old Lopburi River, just like Wat Tha Sai (ruin), Wat Chang Yai and Wat Khae (defunct).


The area in the meander of the old Lopburi River was related to elephants and warfare. It is here that troops were concentrated, battle formations prepared, and pre-battle rites performed before going to war.


In situ is a commemoration sala with a sitting Buddha statue in the Bhumisparsa hand gesture (mudra), also called ‘Maravijaya’ or ‘Victory over Mara’ mudra. The statue is called Phra Phuttha Maha Chakraphat.


There are apparently no traces anymore of the former monastery, except for the remains of some Buddha statues under a Bodhi tree (Ficus Religiosa).


Likely there was a connection between this former temple and Wat Chang Yai.


Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.


The site is shown on a Monthon Krung Kao map of 1916 CE and the 1993 CE and 2007 CE Fine Arts Department maps.


The site is in geographical coordinates: 14° 24' 3.32" N, 100° 32' 17.00" E.