Wat Khae, or the Monastery of the Trumpet Tree (1), was located off Ayutthaya’s city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya, in the Wat Tum Sub-district. The temple was situated on the south bank of the northern arm of the former loop in the old Lopburi River, called Khlong Chang (2).

The defunct monastery stood east of Wat Chang Yai, west of Wat Tha Yak and northeast of Wat Pho.

The monastery shows on a Monthon Krung Kao military map drafted in 1916 CE and based on a survey in 1915 CE.

Local people confirmed the location during a visit to the area.

No traces of the monastery can be seen at ground level.

The site is in geographical coordinates: 14° 24' 8.16" N, 100° 32' 31.11" E.

There were three more temples with the same name in Ayutthaya City District: the restored ruin of Wat Khae in the Historical Park, the active temple on Ko Loi in the Hua Ro Sub-district and a restored ruin in the Hua Ro Sub-district.


(1) Bignoniaceae.

(2) Khlong Chang was a canal connecting the old Lopburi River (now called Khlong Hua Ro - Khlong Bang Khuat - Khlong Muang) at Wat Dao Khanong in Bang Pahan District with the new Lopburi River at Wat Ton Satu in the same district. Until the late 1940s, the area was sealed with "Sao Thalung", the same wooden poles used at the Elephant Kraal. Elephants were driven from Wat Dao Khanong past Khlong Chang to Wat Ton Satu and straight into the Elephant Kraal.


RR160410 - Interview with local people in situ on 10 April 2016.