Wat Khok Yai Mi, or the Monastery of the Mound of Grandmother Mi, was located on the city island in the southern area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai Sub-district, east of Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park.

The monastery stood on the west bank of Khlong Pratu Chai, a canal situated between Khlong Chakrai Yai and Khlong Chakrai Noi. It lies south of Wat Khok Khema and Wat Khok Khemi, east of Wat Hip. Wat Prasat stood on its east. Wat Khok Yai Ma was the closest to the present Chao Phraya River. (1)

There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level however, a commemoration vihara exists on the premises of the Ayutthaya Hospital.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.

Wat Khok Yai Mi on the maps:

Wat Khok Yai Mi shows on a 19th-century map by an unknown surveyor and Phraya Boran Rachathanin's (PBR) map drafted in 1926 CE. The temple was situated south of what PBR calls Thanon Rong Krai (street). Wat Khok Yai Mi seems to have been situated on an island formed by Khlong Chakrai Yai, Khlong Pratu Chai, the present Chao Phraya River (1) and a canal with an unknown name, which ran on its northern side, linking Khlong Chakrai Yai with Khlong Chakrai Noi. The temple stood within the city walls.

The site is in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 34.03" N, 100° 33' 35.02" E.


(1) The Lopburi River in the Ayutthaya period (1350-1767 CE). (2) Khlong Pratu Chai, or the Victory Gate Canal, is a defunct canal situated on Ayutthaya's city island in the Pratu Chai Sub-district. The north-south running short canal had its mouth at the old Lopburi River (in 1857 CE deviated Chao Phraya River today) in front of Wat Tha Rap and linked up with a canal connecting Khlong Chakrai Yai and Khlong Chakrai Noi. The canal pierced the fortified city wall at the Victory Gate, a large water gate between Wat Khok Khemi / Wat Khok Yai Mi and Wat Prasat. The canal has been filled up somewhere after the fall of Ayutthaya (1767 CE), and no traces of the waterway are left today. Khlong Pratu Chai must have run on today's premises of Ayutthaya Hospital.