WAT KLANG KHLONG SRA BUA





Wat Klang Khlong Sra Bua, or the Monastery in the Middle of the Lotus Pond Canal, was located off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya, in the Khlong Sra Bua Sub-district.


The temple was situated on the east bank of Khlong Sra Bua (1) in Thung Kaeo (2), Wat Phisua stood on its north side and Wat Raeng in the south. Wat Sri Pho and Wat Phrom Kalayaram lie west opposite the canal.


In situ are the well-known classic monastic structures. The new ordination hall is built in a mix of the early and late Ayutthaya style with some Rattanakosin influences. Old satellite chedis are standing in the vicinity of the ubosot.


A priceless metre-tall Chiang Saen Buddha sits in a glass case in a small reliquary at the back of the temple.


Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.





Wat Klang Khlong Sra Bua on the maps


The site is mentioned on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 CE. On his map, the temple is simply named Wat Klang. Wat Bailo stood northeast (3), Wat Raeng south, while Wat Phra Kalayaram (4) stood opposite the canal. Phraya Boran (1871-1936 CE) was the Superintendent Commissioner of Monthon Ayutthaya from 1925 till 1929 CE but occupied important functions since 1896 CE in Monthon Ayutthaya.


Wat Klang figures on the Fine Arts Department maps of 1974, 1993 and 2007 CE.


The monastery is in geographical coordinates: 14° 22' 16.58" N, 100° 33' 36.44" E.


There were four more temples with the same name in Ayutthaya City District: The ruin of Wat Klang and Wat Khlang Khlong Takhian (Wat Klang Pak Kran) in Pak Kran Sub-district Wat Klang Tai (defunct) and Wat Klang Nuea (Wat Klang Raman) in Suan Phrik Sub-district.


Footnotes:


(1) Khlong Sra Bua, or the Lilly Pond Canal, is a canal situated in the northern area off the city island in the Khlong Sra Bua district. The waterway splits from Khlong Hua Ro between Wat Ngiu (defunct) and Wat Si Liam. The canal has its mouth at the City Canal (Khlong Mueang) between Wat Na Phra Men and Wat Mai in front of the north-eastern corner of the Grand Palace. The canal was a shortcut in the old Lopburi River.

(2) Thung Kaeo, or Crystal Field, is an area north of the city of Ayutthaya bordered on the west and north by Khlong Sra Bua on the east by Khlong Hua Ro, and on the south by Khlong Mueang.

(3) Based on the 2007 Fine Arts Department map Wat Bailo is south of Wat Klang.

(4) Wat Phrom Kalayaram on the 2007 Fine Arts Department map. ‘Kalaya’ means ‘older sister’ in the Thai language.