Wat Klong, or the Monastery of the Drum, was located on Ayutthaya's city island in the north-eastern area of the city in the Pratu Chai Sub-district.

The monastery was situated on the south bank of a canal linking the (now defunct) Khlong Pratu Khao Pluak (1) with Khlong Makham Riang (2). It stood central between the two main canals.

In the north lie, on the banks of the old Lopburi River, presently Khlong Mueang, Wat Tha Sai while on its south-west stood Wat Jao Ta.

There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.

In front of Wat Klong was a fresh market. [1]

Wat Klong on the maps:

Wat Klong shows on Kaempfer’s sketch. Engelbert Kaempfer was a medical doctor working for the Dutch VOC (Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie) who surveyed the city of Ayutthaya in June 1690 CE. In this sketch, we find the temple between Khlong Pratu Khao Pluak and Khlong Makham Riang, south of the Coconut Quarter Road (Thanon Pa Maphrao), sometimes earlier called Elephant Road. Two hundred sixty paces west or about 200 metres west of the Wat Nang Bridge, we observe a road on his sketch. This road is today the Soi Ho Rattanachai 4. From this road, another 200 paces to the west, stood Wat Klong. Parallel to the Pa Maphrao Road and on the south side of the road at about 20 paces was a canal or ditch. Wat Khlong stood as thus south of the trench.

The monastery is indicated on a map drafted in the 19th century by an unknown surveyor. Wat Klong features south of a junction canal between the Pratu Khao Pluk Canal and the Makham Riang Canal. Wat Jao Ta stands west, Wat Saphan Than southwest and Wa Sa southeast. Wat Nang northeast on the northside of the canal and the Pa Maphrao Road. The map indicates the existence of a chedi.

Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 CE, also has Wat Klong indicated in a similar position with Wat Jao Ta in the southwest. Phraya Boran (1871-1936 CE) was the Superintendent Commissioner of Monthon Ayutthaya from 1925 till 1929 CE but occupied important functions since 1896 CE in Monthon Ayutthaya.

A 2007 GIS Fine Arts Department map has traces of Wat Klong in geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 38.37" N, 100° 34' 13.01" E.


(1) Khlong Pratu Khao Pluak, or the ‘Canal of the Gate of Unmilled Rice’, was part of a waterway running through the middle of Ayutthaya from north to south. The canal, a shortcut in the oxbow of the Lopburi River, ran until the Chikun Bridge and continued to the Chinese water gate (Pratu Jin). It was filled up somewhere in the early 20th century.
(2) Khlong Makham Riang, or the Canal of the aligned Tamarind Trees, was before called Khlong Nai Kai. It is a still existent canal situated east on Ayutthaya's city island. The canal was a shortcut in the oxbow of the old Lopburi River. It has today its origin at Khlong Ho Ratana Chai below Wat Senasanaram and the Front Palace, and its mouth at the present Chao Phraya River, west of Phet Fortress. At the mouth was one of the eleven water gates of Ayutthaya called Pratu Nai Kai. The southern exit, which has today a water regulator, has been altered. The original mouth of the canal was about 170 metres more south, close to Pom Phet. Khlong Makham Riang is one of the three large canals running north to south, of which two still are in existence.
(3) Khlong Mueang or the City Canal is a stretch of the old Lopburi River on the northern side of Ayutthaya's city island. Many people believe it is a manufactured canal. The Lopburi River descending from the north ran in the Ayutthaya period around the city and joined the Chao Phraya River near Bang Sai (below Bang Pa-In). Khlong Mueang is a remnant from that time. Today, the canal starts at Hua Ro and has its exit at the confluence with the Chao Phraya River near Hua Laem.


[1] Baker, Chris (2011). Before Ayutthaya Fell: Economic Life in an Industrious Society. Markets and Production in the City of Ayutthaya before 1767: Translation and Analysis of Part of the Description of Ayutthaya. Journal of the Siam Society. Vol. 99.p.65./ Pongsripian, Vinai, Dr. (2007). Phanna phumisathan Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya: Ekasan jak Ho Luang. Geographical description of Ayutthaya: Documents from the palace. Bangkok: Usakane. p.82.