Wat Kuti Sung, or the Monastery of the High Dwelling of the Monk, is situated off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya, in the Hua Ro Sub-district. The monastery was located between Wat Si Fan (defunct) and Wat Maha Lok, along the west bank of the present Lopburi River. The monastery, thus, was accessible by boat before. Presently people are living behind its ruins and the river.

In situ is an ordination hall (ubosot) oriented on an east-west axis. The structure looks a bit strange. The northern wall has only a small window, while the southern wall has three. There are two elevated porches: one in the east and one in the west, both accessible via a single staircase. The eastern porch has one entry leading into the ubosot, while the western porch has two entrances. The brick walls of the ubosot are pretty well preserved. A large Buddha image of recent times is situated within its ruins.

West of the ordination hall stands the brick ruins of what was likely a large drum or bell tower, as large openings in the four cardinal directions can be seen. The basis is in a square plan, with three rabbets on each angle, which could date from King Prasat Tong’s reign (1629-1656 CE), where twelve rabbeted-angled chedis were fashionable.

The monastery's name could have been derived from this tower, although the structure was likely not a Kuti (quarters where monks reside in the temple compound), as Kutis, in principle, were made of wood. (1)

The monastery is indicated on 1974, 1993 and 2007 CE Fine Arts Department (FAD) maps.

The temple remains are in geographical coordinates: 14° 22' 21.95" N, 100° 34' 27.81" E. Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.


(1) One of the exceptions is Wat Jao Ya, where brick structures can be seen, but probably with a function of a meditation area and not as a monk’s living area.