Wat Lamut, or the Monastery of the Sapodilla Tree (1), was located off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya, in the Khlong Sra Bua Sub-district, Mu 6. The temple was situated west of the road running parallel with Khlong Hua Ro (2), west of Wat Khae (restored ruin) and adjacent to Wat Phisua (brick mound). Wat Lamut was set in Thung Kaeo (3).

There are no traces of the monastery at ground level, but there is still a Ficus Religiosa or Bodhi tree in situ.

Its year of construction is uncertain.

The different editions of the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya give some contradictory information. The Royal Autograph mentions that Lord Anurak Montri was ordained at this monastery when King Borommakot (reign 1733-1758 CE) became severely ill (and died shortly after in May 1758 CE).

"Meanwhile, the Celestial Lord of the Department of the Fourth Rank Anurak Montri, who had been ordained and was living at the Monastery of the Lamut, was informed that the King had become severely ill with a holy sickness. His Majesty accordingly left the monkhood and came down to stay at the Holy Residence of the Rabbit Garden. Now Lord Athit, the Royal Son of that Department of the Holy Royal Palace Enclosure who had entered heaven, went out to invite His Majesty to come in to the Holy Throne Hall Armed with Guns. After parting the curtains and looking with His holy eyes [on the King] for just a few moments, His Majesty went back to the Rabbit Garden." [1]

The editions of the British Museum and Reverend Phonnarat mention that King Suriyamin (reign 1758-1767 CE) constructed this temple in 1759 CE at the same time as the "Monastery of the Garuda".

"After being rid of the enemies within, His Holiness accordingly fostered and nourished the Holy Buddhist Religion and His imperial subjects so they lived in peace and happiness. Now His Holiness constructed two holy temples and gave them the holy royal gifts of the names of the Monastery of the Lamut Tree for one, and of the Monastery of the Garuda for the other. Then [the King] dedicated them by presenting suitable alms articles to all the ascetics, Brahmans, beggars and singing mendicants present and by holding a festival for seven whole days. Then His Majesty returned to the Holy Royal Palace Enclosure.” [2]

Wat Lamut was in geographical coordinates: 14° 22 '31.8" N, 100° 33' 36.7" E.


(1) ละมุด = Manilkara zapota commonly known as the sapodilla.(2) Khlong Hua Ro is situated off the city island in the northern area, north of Hua Ro Sub-district. The canal is the western border of the Suan Phrik Sub-district and the eastern border of the Lum Phli and Khlong Sra Bua sub-districts. The old Lopburi River bed ran from Wat Khao Din (Wat Wora Nayok Rangsan) in Bang Pahan District towards the city of Ayutthaya and is now divided into four stretches Khlong Ban Muang from Wat Muang until Wat Dao Khanong in Bang Pahan District Khlong Bang Khuat (a short-cut canal in the Lopburi River loop) from Wat Dao Khanong to (south of) Wat Klang Raman in Ayutthaya City District Khlong Hua Ro from (north of) Wat Pom Raman to Hua Ro in Ayutthaya City District.(3) Thung Kaeo, or Crystal Field, is an area north of the city of Ayutthaya bordered on the west and north by Khlong Sra Bua, on the east by Khlong Hua Ro, and on the south by Khlong Mueang.


[1] Cushman, Richard D. & Wyatt, David K. (2006). The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya. Bangkok: The Siam Society. p. 461.

[2] Cushman, Richard D. & Wyatt, David K. (2006). The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya. Bangkok: The Siam Society. p. 472.