WAT LONG THONG





Wat Long Thong was located off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in the Wat Tum Sub-district, east of Highway No. 347. Long Thong can be translated as "to cover with gold leaf".


Wat Long Thong stood south of Wat Sam Pratu and north of Wat Khwit (2). The temple was situated within a loop of the old Lopburi River, of which the southern part is now called Khlong Wat Tum and stood on its east bank adjacent to Wat Sam Pratu. In the 17th century, in the reign of King Narai (1656-1688 CE), the loop was cut straight near Wat Tha Yak and the northern tax station towards Wat Klang Raman. The shortcut canal was called Khlong Bang Khuat, referring to the village Ban Bang Khuat in which area the waterway was dug.


In situ is a sizeable bell-shaped chedi in the style of the middle Ayutthaya period (1488 - 1629 CE) on a brick court. North of the chedi are the foundations of undefined monastic buildings.


Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.


Wat Long Thong was excavated and restored after the great flood of 2011 CE. A board in situ renames the temple as Wat Rong Thong or the "Monastery of the Golden Building", an alternative name for the site mentioned on the GIS Map FAD 2007.


The monastery features in a 1993 and a 2007 CE Fine Arts Department map.


The temple remains are wrongly positioned on the 2007 CE FIS FAD map (14° 23' 48.48" N, 100° 31' 48.00" E), as the ruin was found in geographical coordinates 14° 23' 35.93" N, 100° 31' 47.05" E.