Wat Nang Loeng (1), also called Wat Luang or the Royal Monastery, was located off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in the Wat Tum Sub-district.

The monastery features on a 1916 CE Monthon Krung Kao map as Wat Nang Loeng and a 1993 CE Fine Arts Department map as Wat Luang.

The historical background and period of construction of this former monastery are unknown.

Wat Nang Loeng stood northeast of Wat Tum and east of Wat Sasada.

The temple was situated within a loop of the old Lopburi River, of which the southern part is now called Khlong Wat Tum. In the reign of King Narai, a shortcut canal was dug to straighten the Lopburi River. The latter canal was called Khlong Bang Khuat, referring to the village Ban Bang Khuat in which vicinity the canal was dug.

The monastery could also have been named after a village called Ban Bang Luang. In old texts, we find, for example, the Bang Luang Tax Station and a Bang Luang Canal referring as thus to a location called Bang Luang. The tax station, though, was situated north of Wat Luang near Wat Tha Yak, south of Wat Dao Khanong. [1]

The Fine Arts Department - Region 3 excavated several kilns near Wat Nang Loeng. Based on a survey I made in 2009 CE, more kilns are east of the actual excavated area.

Wat Nang Loeng was in geographical coordinates: 14° 23.517' N, 100° 32.457' E.


(1) Nang Loeng, or Bulky Ladies, are large terracotta storage pots for water. De La Loubère wrote that the river water was collected in great jars, but it could not be drunk without danger until they had let them stand in the jars for three weeks to a month. [2]


[1] Rachathanin, Phraya Boran. Athibai Phaenthi Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya kap khamwinitjai khong Phraya Boran Racha Thanin. Explanation of the map of the Capital of Ayutthaya with a ruling of Phraya Boran Rachathanin - Revised 2nd edition and Geography of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. Ton Chabab print office. Nonthaburi (2007). p. 94.

[2] Loubère, Simon (de la) (1693). A New Historical Relation of the Kingdom of Siam (2 Tomes). London. Edited by John Villiers. Bangkok: White Lotus, 1986.