Wat Pa Jan (1) was located on Ayutthaya's city island in the city’s southern part in the Pratu Chai Sub-district.

The monastery was located on the west bank of Khlong Pratu Thep Mi (2), a canal fed by Bueng Phra Ram.

Wat Am Mae lay on its north along the same canal, while Wat Singharam stood on its west. The French Reception Hall (Tuk Rap Khaek Mueang Farangset) was located northeast, opposite the Thep Mi canal.

There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.

The site is indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 CE. Phraya Boran (1871-1936 CE) was the Superintendent Commissioner of Monthon Ayutthaya from 1925 till 1929 CE but occupied important functions since 1896 CE in Monthon Ayutthaya.

The monastery was also known under the name of Wat Nam Jan.

Wat Pa Jan was located in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 46.43" N, 100° 33' 55.22" E.


(1) Ton Dok Jan or Butea Monosperma is a species of Butea, a genus of flowering plants belonging to the pea family, native to tropical and sub-tropical parts of the Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia. She is known as Flame of the Forest or Bastard Teak. The temple's name could thus be translated as the Monastery of the Bastard Teak Forest. Another possibility is that the temple was called after a quarter in Ayutthaya producing and selling tableware.

(2) Khlong Pratu Thep Mi was situated on Ayutthaya's city island outside the Historical Park in Pratu Chai sub-district. The north-south running canal had its mouth at the old Lopburi River opposite the mouth of Khlong Phraya Phan, leading to Wat Phraya Kong and Wat Phraya Phan. The canal was fed by the waters of Bueng Phra Ram, which in its turn was filled by the waters of the Lopburi River via the Lam Khu Pak Sra. The canal passed the fortified city wall at the Thep Mi Gate, also known as the Khao Semi Gate, a large watergate. The canal has been filled up after the fall of Ayutthaya (1767 CE), and only a few traces of the waterway are left today.