Wat Phrom Kalayaram, sometimes mentioned as Wat Phra Kalayaram (1), was located off the city island in the northern area, in the Khlong Sra Bua sub-district. The temple was situated on the west bank of Khlong Sra Bua (2) in an area called Thung Khwan (3).

Wat Sri Pho stood in the south, Wat Phra Ngam in the west and Wat Klang on the opposite side of the canal.

Not much is known of this temple. The Burmese army occupied the temple site in the last Burmese-Ayutthaya war of 1766-1767 CE. The story goes that many Burmese soldiers were killed on this site due to large heavy gunfire from the city. Apparently, the ordination hall was not destroyed got restored and received the name Wat Mai (See 1916 CE Krung Kao map).

The adjacent Wat Sri Pho and Wat Mai (meaning "new") were fused in 1942 CE, and the whole complex received the name Wat Mai Sri Pho.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.

The site is shown on the 1916 CE Monthon Krung Kao map as Wat Mai and on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 CE as Wat Phra Kalayaram. On the 2007 CE FAD GIS map, it bears the name Wat Phrom Kalayaram.

The temple is in geographical coordinates: 14° 22' 16.47" N, 100° 33' 27.55" E.


(1) Th: Kalaya = older sister.
(2) Khlong Sra Bua, or the Lilly Pond Canal, is a canal situated in the northern area, off the city island, in the Khlong Sra Bua District. The waterway splits from Khlong Hua Ro between Wat Ngiu (defunct) and Wat Si Liam. The canal has its mouth at the City Canal (Khlong Mueang) between Wat Na Phra Men and Wat Mai in front of the northeastern corner of the Grand Palace. The canal was a shortcut in the old Lopburi River.
(3) Thung Khwan, or "Field of Fumes", is an area north of the city of Ayutthaya bordered on the north by Thung Lum Phli, on the east by Khlong Sra Bua and Thung Kaeo, in the south by the old Lopburi River and in the west by Thung Phukhao Thong. This area was likely related to crematory services.