WAT SATABAP





Wat Satabap was located in the Ayutthaya Historical Park on the city island in the Pratu Chai Sub-district. The monastery was situated on the west side of Wat Maha That and Wat Nok on Maha That's southern side.


The temple stood on the east bank of a small canal called Lam Khu Pak Sa (Lit. the ditch to the pond's mouth). This small watercourse diverted water from the old Lopburi River (a stretch called today Khlong Mueang) through the Maha Thera Mai Sae tunnel gate in the city wall and through the area presently called Bueng Phra Ram. The water ran through earthenware pipes under the Elephant Road, passed Wat Yan Sen and Wat Chum Saeng, and then ran under the Palace Road to continue further south to join the Pratu Thep Mi Canal. [1]


Except for some traces of bricks at ground level, there is nothing left of the monastery. The location is often used for park festivities.


Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.


The temple is indicated for the first time on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 CE. We find the location back on a Fine Arts Department [FAD] map published in 1957 CE. The temple does not show on the 1974 FAD map to resurge on the FAD 1993 map. Wat Satabap does not appear anymore on the FAD GIS2007 map.


Wat Satabap stood in geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 25.48" N, 100° 33' 57.41" E.





References:


[1] Rachathanin, Phraya Boran. Athibai Phaenthi Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya kap khamwinitjai khong Phraya Boran Racha Thanin. Explanation of the map of the Capital of Ayutthaya with a ruling of Phraya Boran Rachathanin - Revised 2nd edition and Geography of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. Ton Chabab print office. Nonthaburi (2007). p. 53.