WAT SAWANG AROM





Wat Sawang Arom, or the Monastery of the Enlightened State of Mind, is located off the city island on the right bank of the Lopburi River in the northern area of Ayutthaya. The temple is situated in the Suan Phrik Sub-district along the road leading from the Elephant Kraal towards the Asian Highway. The former name of this monastery was Wat Arun Prasert.


In situ is an old vihara and ordination hall. The vihara is relatively small and has an inner and an outer wall. The outer wall has four gates with pointed ornamented arches at the cardinal points and massive (sala-like) decorated buttresses at the corners, which makes it rare. The gates have porticoes on their inner and outer sides. The inner wall is nicely decorated with lotus-shaped holes to insert candles.





The temple is in use by the Buddhist clergy.


Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.


The site is mentioned on Fine Arts Department maps drafted in 1993 and 2007 CE but is not indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map of 1926 CE.


Wat Sawang Arom is in geographical coordinates: 14° 23' 53.25" N, 100° 33' 39.95" E.