Wat Singharam, (1) or the Monastery of the Lion, is a restored ruin located on Ayutthaya’s city island in the Pratu Chai Sub-district. The ruin stands on the premises of the Rajaphat Institute, south of Rojana Road.

The monastery stands opposite Wat Borom Phuttharam on the east bank of Khlong Chakrai Noi. The ruins of Wat Suan Luang Khangkhao are situated south of Wat Singharam on the same canal bank. The temple was built before Wat Borom Phuttharam. [1]

The site consists of a sermon hall (vihara), two bell-shaped chedi, small chedis and a mandapa. Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.

It was possibly built in the middle Ayutthaya period and was restored in the late Ayutthaya period.

Fragments of Chinese porcelain decorated with stucco designs were found at the entrance in front of the vihara. This kind of decoration was found back on some other monuments restored in King Borommakot's reign (1733-1758 CE).

The Fine Arts Department reconstructed the brick bridge over the remaining stretch of Khlong Chakrai Noi near Wat Borom Phuttharam and Wat Singharam. This bridge is called Taphan Sing (ตพานสิง) or Lion Bridge on the mid-19th century map. This brick bridge was likely the Whiteclay Village Bridge leading to Whiteclay Quarter and Wat Phra Ngam Road. [2]


A mid-19th century map made by an unknown surveyor indicates this temple as Wat Kot (วัดกด), probably referring to King Borommakot. The position of Wat Kot being identical to Wat Singharam on this map matches the present location of the ruins (Wat Suan Luang Khangkhao and Wat Borom Phuttharam) around Khlong Chakra Noi.

Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 CE indicated a canal between Wat Singharam and Wat Wat Suan Luang Khangkhao, leading from Khlong Chakrai Noi towards Khlong Pratu Thep Mi. This canal is not found on the mid-19th century map.

The restored ruin of Wat Singharam is in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 50.62" N, 100° 33' 42.81" E.


[1] Krom Sinlapakorn (1968), Phra Rachawang lae Wat Boran nai Jangwat Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya (Fine Arts Department).

[2] Baker, Chris (2014). Final Part of the Description of Ayutthaya with Remarks on Defense, Policing, Infrastructure, and Sacred Sites. Journal of the Siam Society, Vol. 102.

Groundplan of Wat Singharam

Reference: Krom Sinlapakorn (1968), Phra Rachawang lae Wat Boran nai Jangwat Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya (Fine Arts Department).

No. 1: A brick wall built with mortar surrounding the vihara and the chedi with a width of 17 metres and a length of 52.40 metres. One entry on each side with a total of 4 entries. The wall was destroyed.

No. 2: A vihara facing west with a width of 11.60 metres and a length of 22 metres with three front doors. The door is 1.65 metres wide, 3.84 metres high and has two side doors, 1.60 metres wide and 2.80 metres tall. At the back, there are two side doors, 1.60 metres wide, 2.80 metres high. The vihara walls are 59 cm thick. There are 20 air vents on the north and south side of the vihara wall, similar to the air vents of the vihara of Wat Maha That. The air vents are 16 cm wide each.

No. 3: The vihara pillars are octagonal brick pillars with a diameter of 73 cm, totalling six together.

No. 4: A brick base enshrined a sandstone Buddha image from the Ayutthaya period, measuring from the top of the Phra Ket to the head, 80 cm high.

No. 5: A pagoda made of bricks, 8 metres in diameter, together with two pieces arranged behind the vihara.

No. 6: The wall of the ubosot in the east is 29 metres from the vihara wall. The wall is 14.40 metres wide and 30 metres long.

No. 7: The ordination hall, 11 metres wide, 24.40 metres long, leaving only the foundation. and has not yet been excavated.

No. 8: The prang is built of brick with sides of 6 metres, about 26 metres from the vihara.

No. 9: A small vihara, 3 metres wide, 6 metres long, about 4 metres high and 27.40 metres from the vihara wall.