Wat Song Khon, or the Monastery of the Two People (?), can hardly be called a ruin as only parts of the outer wall remain. The monastery was located on the city island, south of Bueng Phra Ram and north of Pa Thon Rd, just opposite the Ayutthaya Witthayalai School. Wat Phong stood in the north, Wat Saphan Nak in the south and Wat Trai Trueng in the west.

The monastery was situated along Nak Bridge Road, at present part of Pa Thon Rd, on the west bank of Lam Khu Pak Sra (1) and the road running parallel with that canal.

Wat Song Khon on the maps:

Engelbert Kaempfer, a medical doctor working for the Dutch VOC (Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie), on his visit to Ayutthaya in June 1690 CE, indicates Wat Song Khon on his sketch.

The site is indicated on a map drafted in the 19th century and on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map of 1926 CE.

The 19th-century map depicts the defunct Khlong Thep Mi west of the monastery, thus effectively sitting on its east bank, while Phraya Boran Rachathanin draws the Thep Mi canal east of the temple. The oldest map indicates the existence of a chedi.

Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.

The remnants of Wat Song Khon are in geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 11.64" N, 100° 33' 54.13" E.


(1) Lam Khu Pak Sra (Lit. the ditch to the pond's mouth) is a small watercourse diverting water from the old Lopburi River (a stretch called today Khlong Mueang) through the Maha Thera Mai Sae tunnel gate in the city wall and through the area presently called Bueng Phra Ram. The water ran through earthenware pipes under the Elephant Road, passed Wat Yan Sen and Wat Chum Saeng, and ran under the Palace Road to continue further south through earthenware pipes buried under Nak Bridge Road (present Pa Thon Road) and through buried pipes to join Khlong Pratu Thep Mi.